2020 Artists of Promise - Visual Arts Competition
Each year, the Maricopa Community Colleges sponsor a districtwide competition to encourage and recognize student achievement in the following categories:
- Two-Dimensional (2D) Art/Design
- Three-Dimensional (3D) Art/Design
Winning students will be selected to have their work displayed at the Artists of Promise Event on April 23, 2020, at the Herberger Theater, in Phoenix, AZ. Also, the top 5 winning students will then also have the images of their work submitted, and entered by the District, into the League of Innovation National Art Competition.
- The Visual Arts Competition in both 2D and 3D requires that students must be registered in an art class within Maricopa Community Colleges, and can only submit work done while in the MCCCD art class.
- Students can submit 4 pieces each, but each must be uploaded separately due to the system requirements. There can be 2 views of each submitted piece of work.
- All work will be judged by the images that were submitted. Please submit high-quality images. The 5 winners of the League of Innovation award will then have those images submitted to the national competition.
- The work can be completed during any of these semesters: Spring 2019, Summer 2019, Fall 2019 or Spring 2020. Work done in prior years is not accepted.
- Anyone who has previously represented the district in the League of Innovation National Competition is not eligible for that award again. However, they may enter the show and display their work in the Artist of Promise exhibition on April 23.
- All work must be able to be exhibited at the Artist of Promise Exhibition. It will be installed on April 22. The Exhibition will be on April 23 and the work will be removed that evening.
- All 5 League of Innovation winners will have their work included in a full-color anthology, produced by the League of Innovation. These pieces will then be judged a second time and will be eligible for awards at the national level.
- All work must be professionally presented, and ready to hang or display, at the Artist of Promise event.
- Work in the AOP exhibition is not for sale, but you can leave your contact information with the show coordinator.
Submission and Judging Process
Entry Process Opens: November 18, 2019
Student Entry Deadline: February 28, 2020
- Student Competition Form (online)
- Online adjudication: March 2020
- First place work in each category will be displayed at the Artists of Promise gala scheduled for April 23, 2020. In addition, they will be required to deliver their artwork to the exhibition on April 22, 2020. Both occur at the Herberger Theater in Phoenix, AZ.
- All awards will be issued via U.S. Mail shortly after the Artists of Promise.
- The top five student artists selected will be awarded $225 each
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College
- Louis Mendoza, (480) 732-7089, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Estrella Mountain Community College
- Jimmy Fike, (623) 935-8570, email@example.com
- GateWay Community College
- Susan Mills, (602) 286-8487, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glendale Community College
- Brendan Regan, (623) 845-3449, email@example.com
- Mesa Community College
- Linda Speranza, (480) 461-7534, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paradise Valley Community College
- Phoenix College
- Dale Doubleday, (602) 285-7750, email@example.com
- Scottsdale Community College
- Lisa Peace, (480) 423-6344, firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Mountain Community College
- Wiley Wallace, (602) 243-8202, email@example.com