Artists of Promise - Creative Writing Competition
Each year, the Maricopa Community Colleges sponsor a districtwide competition to encourage and recognize student achievement in the following categories:
- One Act-Play/Script
Winning students will receive cash awards, be published in Maricopa’s literary magazine, Passages, and be recognized at the virtual Artists of Promise Event during the Spring of 2022.
Also, the first-place winners in each category will be submitted by the district to then compete at the National Level in the League of Innovation in the Community Colleges Creative Writing Competition.
Recent Editions of Passages
Maximum Length of Submissions
- Essay: 2,000 words
- Fiction: 3,000 words
- One-Act Play/Script: 3,000 words including stage direction and/or production notes
- Poetry: 67 lines
The upper right corner of each page of the entry must include the Page Number.
Your name appearing anywhere on your creative writing document will result in an automatic disqualification.
Entries must be submitted online. College coordinators will verify submissions. Please note the document MUST be word-processed in a 12 point type and in 8 1/2 x 11” formatting.
- Students must be enrolled during the semester in which they submit to the contest.
- Student work previously published in nationally recognized publications or work that has won a national award is not eligible for the competition.
- Work published in MCCCD college-level publications is eligible for submission.
- A contestant must be a currently enrolled "for credit" student at one of the Maricopa Community Colleges (All faculty excluded).
- Students who have previously won First Place in a category are not eligible to submit again in that category.
- ALL entries MUST be submitted online through Survey Monkey Apply
- Only one entry per category may be submitted by an individual.
Submission and Judging Process
Entries not meeting guidelines and entry requirements will not be accepted. Entries from each of the categories will be blind reviewed by a panel of experts in the corresponding discipline. Winners in each of the categories will be showcased in Passages, a Maricopa Community Colleges annual publication dedicated to the competition.
Please see the application for Competition Requirements, Criterion, and to submit your work.
Entry Process Opens: Monday, September 27, 2021
Student Entry Deadline: Wednesday, November 24, 2021
Online adjudication will take place in early February 2022. The judges are professionals in the field of creative writing. The decisions of the judges are final.
Maricopa County Community College District assumes no responsibility for lost or misdirected entries, or printing errors in the final publication. All physical entries become the property of MCCCD without infringement on the copyrights of the entrants. MCCCD reserves the right to edit for spelling and grammatical errors. Entries will be screened for proper submission procedures and will be rejected if they do not meet the general eligibility or the specific entry requirements.
- Winners will be notified in early February 2022 by the Maricopa Center for Learning & Innovation (MCLI).
- First-place work in each category will be recognized at the Virtual Artists of Promise performance scheduled for Spring 2022.
- All awards will be issued via student accounts in SIS shortly after the Artists of Promise gala.
- $300 for first place;
- $200 for second place;
- $100 for third place.
Additionally, First Place winners will be entered in the League for Innovation in the Community College’s National Student Literary Competition and be required to complete League application materials, which will be provided by the MCLI.
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College
- Patrick Finn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Estrella Mountain Community College
- Joel Arthur, email@example.com
- GateWay Community College
- Matt Jolly, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glendale Community College
- Mesa Community College
- Jeremy Broyles, email@example.com
- Paradise Valley Community College
- Ryan Stone, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phoenix College
- Josiah Kilduff, email@example.com
- Rio Salado College
- Stephen Fomeche, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scottsdale Community College
- Kimberly Sabin, email@example.com
- South Mountain Community College
- Nancy McCurry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Date and Time
Student Entry Deadline:
Wednesday, November 24, 2021